Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Catfish Pond


The Family Fishing Pond on the property of the Burton State Fish Hatchery doesn't look like much, but it's loaded with fun in the form of channel catfish. Operated by the Georgia Wildlife Resources Division for the express purpose of providing a family friendly option, "the catfish pond," as we've always called it in my home, provides great access to easy fishing and normally fast action.

Asher, my 6-year-old, got his first introduction to the the catfish pond this weekend and left four catfish catches richer. We threw back our fish , but anglers are allowed to take home four fish apiece.
We also visited the hatchery and "ooood and awed" over the thousands of trout in the tanks and then dunked bread balls on tiny hooks at mouth of Moccasin Creek in adjacent Moccasin Creek State Park and caught about 20 bream in short order. Had he wanted to, Asher could have gone for the area slam, targeting trout in the same creek in a section that's open only to children and senior citizens. He'd had enough of the July Georgia sun, though, so we packed it up and turned the truck toward home.

I've enjoyed days at the catfish pond with my three oldest children and a few young family friends, and I suspect in time I'll get out there with my other two. I commend the WRD for providing such a nice opportunity for young anglers to enjoy good angling action virtually any day.

Our favorite bait at the catfish pond, by the way, is a little piece of a cheap hot dog. Chicken livers also work very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment