Joe Pye weed growing from a rocky mid-river area and blooming caught my attention during a recent wade-fishing outing. It always does. I think it’s a beautiful and wild looking flower, I often spot it first in a year while fishing, and it reminds me that summer’s end is drawing near.
I’m not a hater of hot weather. More so than most folks, I think, I value aspects of the every season and have never seen myself as a “cold weather” or “hot weather” person. If forced to pick a favorite season, though, it would be Autumn, so I admittedly get a little ahead of things anticipating the season change.
That’s precisely where we are right now. The 10-day outlook mostly shows highs in the low 90s. Hardly fall weather. But tomorrow we turn the calendar page to September, college football kicks off next weekend, schools are back in season, and pumpkin drinks are on coffee shop menus.
Those things all tell me that cooler mornings, the vibrant colors that define the season, boosted activity levels in many gamefish, and fishing action that can extend throughout the day are not far away.
Arguably my favorite thing about autumn fishing is that I frequently have the waters I fish to myself. Between school’s return bringing most vacations to an end, many sportsmen turning to the woods, and many anglers only associating fishing with spring and summer, even many popular fishing spots are largely uncrowded during fall.
Delayed-harvest trout streams that open to catch and release fishing in October or November (depending on state) are an extreme exception, but that’s another story for another time.
For now, I’m just enjoying the promise brought by the mid-stream Joe Pye Weed.

No comments:
Post a Comment