Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Quit Counting ar 100

We'd been fishing about 9 seconds when I hooked my first white bass of the morning, and that fish pretty well set the pace for the day. I stopped counting at 100 fish, and we continued catching fish for another three hours or so. White bass were the main attraction, but between Gary Dollahon and me we caught seven different species of fish.

We caught almost all our fish in 30 to 40 feet of water, which is deeper than many anglers like to fish but which Gary has found to be  the prime zone for several species of fish during the winter. They were in predictable positions over structure and relating big schools of shad and very susceptible to vertical presentation. We caught everything on jigging spoons and Bobby Garland crappie baits, including Slab Doct'R and Slab Slay'R jigs. I was fishing one of Gary's hand-poured spoons with a Slab Doct'R rigged about a foot and a half above it on my line. Interesting, about 3/4 of the fish I caught on the tandem rig were on the jig. Presentations were important at times, and the fish's moods and preferences definitely changed while we were out there.

We'll take some of what we learned today and apply it to tomorrow's approach, but we'll also need to adjust for conditions, with the weather calling for colder temperatures and far more wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment