Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cajun Country

I'm looking forward to an upcoming return to Cajun Country and a quest for jumbo redfish and speckled trout. It has been a couple of years since I've been to the Louisiana coast, which is definitely w-a-y too long. The reds, with their smashing strikes and bulldog tenacity, are the biggest draw, but it would be a mistake the to ignore the fresh, salty small of the marsh, the amazing spreads of spicy seafood delights that end up on Louisiana tables and the undeniable fun of spending time with lively Cajun folks.

From a practical standpoint, I don't do a tremendous number of saltwater trips, and the Louisiana coast is so productive that I always get a bunch of useful story material from trips. October is supposed to be prime time for big reds in the marshes south of New Orleans, and the bite is going strong based on the last word I heard.

I'm also looking forward to trying out some different baits. The guides anticipate the Bomber Who Dat Rattling Spoon and Badonk-A-Donk SS (subsurface) to be major players, and I haven't spent time working either of these baits.

Finally, I'm excited that Nathaniel gets to ride along. He's never been to the Louisiana coast, and it's always fun sharing my favorite places with him. I think he'll really like redfishing because it's a lot like bass fishing except that the fish are way bigger and stronger. He's also going to shoot a few videos for me, and I'm hoping to get some life going on my YouTube channel.

We leave home Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment