Friday, November 2, 2012

My Little Green Camera

If you were to see me in a creek or a boat, I'd most likely have a green and back, rubbery looking camera hanging around my neck (or in my hand, with my finger on the button). That camera, a waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof point-and-shoot made by Pentax, has become one of of my most favored and most valuable tools.

I bought my "little green camera," as I usually call it, a couple of years ago, primarily for wading trout streams and floating in canoes. I wanted a camera I didn't have to keep stowed in a Pelican Case and that I wouldn't need to wrestle out every time I wanted a single shot. It's performed in that role exactly as I had hoped, but I've also learned that I like having a quick and handy camera even when I don't need the water protection. It takes great, high-resolution photos, so I use it for a lot of quick shots of fishermen and gear when I am out in the boat or just walking around. It also shoots better macro than I can get with my SLR, and it's loaded with cool pre-sets for special effects. I've never gotten very good with it for inside photos, but inside pictures are rarely important for my work and there's no need for a camera to be waterproof when I'm inside.

Lately Nathaniel and I have been playing more with underwater uses -- especially underwater video -- and I'm pretty sure that's going to be something we'll do more with in the future. The newest video on our YouTube channel, which features me talking about trout lures, includes some underwater footage of trout lures in action and even a trout on the line, and Nathaniel shot all the underwater stuff with the little green camera. I'll probably also use it as a field video camera for getting tips from fishing pros and guides when Nathaniel isn't with me.

Despite having owned my little green camera a couple of years, I'm continuing to discover new applications and learning how to better use its tools. And the more I discover, the more I like it, which is why I'm rarely without it afield.

My camera is a Pentax Optio W90. Looking at Pentax's website, it appears the newest generation of the same type basic camera is the Vermillion Red Optio WG-2. I'd be surprised if it doesn't do all the same stuff and more, except better, and their current online price of $249.99 is about what I believe I paid for mine. I may eventually find out how I like the new version. The only shortfall of my little green camera is that I only own one, and Nathaniel and often have to pass it back and forth in the creek or the boat. Maybe some day he'll be sporting a "little red camera" in photos of him afield!

Photo courtesy of of Pentax.

No comments:

Post a Comment