Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thursday Tips: Selecting Lure Colors

If you fish, it's almost a given that you've done it many times: You've stared into a box and pondered what color of plug to tie to your line, worm to put on your hook or body to put on your crappie jig. And if you're anything like me, you've occasionally second guessed that decision before the lure even got wet. Picking colors is simply part of fishing with lures, and I'd contend that it's more of an art than a science.

One real benefit of my job is that I get to spend a lot of time in a boat with guides and tournament pros -- folks who fish for everything from bluegills to big saltwater fish -- and I get to ask a lot of questions. I often ask questions about color theory, and I definitely hear some of common themes.

Although every angler has his own take on applications, important deciding factors typically include the color of the water, the brightness of the day and the type of forage the fish are apt to be eating. Dirty water usually calls for bright colors, very dark colors or a combination of a dark color and a bright color. Extra clear water dictates natural, translucent colors. Generally speaking, anglers like darker colors on dark days and lighter colors on bright days. Matching forage speaks for itself. Even in stained water where a highly natural offering would disappear, bright orange might work better than an equally bright chartreuse for bass that are relating to reddish crawfish.

As much as I hear the same ideas about which color types go with which conditions, I hear two other ideas. One is that of "letting the fish decide." Use theories to make good starting picks, but experiment and pay attention to what colors draw bites. The second -- and this is the one I hear more than anything else -- is that the best color is one you can fish with the most confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment