Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ice Out?

Earlier this year I was watching weather in the North, pulling for serious cold to lock up good ice for my January trip western Pennsylvania. A few months later I'm thinking about northern weather and ice again, but this time I'm pulling for the opposite. On Friday, I fly to Green Bay to fish for giant smallmouths in the legendary waters that bound Door County with the folks from Get Bit Baits, but as of a couple of days ago, a couple of the bays we would most likely fish still had ice on them. They are starting to break up. so hopefully by the time we're ready to fish...

The good news is that some bays are open and -- worst case -- we could fish in rivers that supposedly are loaded with 3- to 5-pound smallmouths!

From Green Bay I fly Buffalo to fish Erie and the Niagara River and apparently Erie's Eastern Basin still has ice on it, too, but those waters have a few more days to thaw before I arrive, so I feel pretty confident that we'll be in good shape there. And if we could only fish the river, which is full of brown trout, steelhead, lake trout and salmon, that wouldn't be the worst thing that's ever happened.

There's nothing I can do about any of that anyway, so I'll just pack plenty of warm clothes and be prepared for whatever happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment