Friday, June 6, 2014

Tying Bug Bitten

I knew the tying bug had bitten me, but I'm not sure I knew how bad the bite was. Beyond the draw of the vice at home, the attraction of fur, feathers and glitzy stuff in any setting and the pattern ideas that bounce around in my head, the tying bug bite has really translated to the water. If I'm fishing, and there's any possible Ugly Bug application, that's the box I'm reaching for, and it's a huge added thrill any time I can catch my fish on jigs I've tied.

Fortunately, the fish seem pretty willing to eat my bugs. In fact, in some recent situations I've felt like they were the best thing going.

Ugly Bugs have been good to me in Deadwood. So far, I've used one of my own creations to catch brown and rainbow trout, crappie, bluegills, rock bass, northern pike, largemouths, smallmouths and walleyes. The one I picked out for lakers didn't do the job, but every other time I've tied on an Ugly Bug in three days of fishing, I've caught fish.

Of course, I've also fed more than a few bugs to rocks or trees. I guess I'll have to spend some more time tying when I get home! But first one more day of fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment