Wednesday, January 14, 2015

B.A.S.S. Opens Start Tomorrow

Having had my eyes mostly pointed north, where single-digit temperatures have the ice setting up nicely for next week's Pennsylvania ice adventure, it's almost hard for me to believe that tomorrow B.A.S.S. will be starting the Southern Opens season on Florida's Kissimmee Chain and that some guys will be sight-casting for spawning bass. Next comes the first Rayovac on Okeechobee, and the tournament season and spring progress from there.

Reports I've seen suggest that some big bass are being caught, although I gather that a major lack of grass has changed the face of the Kissimmee Chain fishery quite a bit from what most pros are used to seeing. It's always fun for me to see how well the fish bite, how they are caught and who figures out the right patterns.

I'm especially interested in watching Alton Jones Jr. competing in the Opens this year. I first met "Little Alton" when he about 10, I'd guess, so I'm certainly excited about the start of his pro career. He was a good fisherman, even then, and I can't imagine anyone entering the pro ranks with a much fuller understanding of all aspects of pro fishing.

Of course, I'll have to find out how Day 1 went tomorrow evening. I have a morning appointment with some Chattooga River trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment