Monday, March 26, 2018

Shangri-La Resort Experience

The morning view from my room at Shangri-La Resort on Lake Ouachita.
From the first look through my room's picture window, I knew I would like staying at Shangri-La Resort at Lake Ouachita, and that notion didn't change during my four-night stay last week. If anything, I enjoyed my visit even more than expected. I had eaten at Shangri-La's restaurant a few times before and knew how good the food was and had gone out with anglers out of the resort's boat docks. However, I had never before stayed at the resort's motel.

My room's view says a lot about this resort's location, from a fisherman's standpoint. It sits on a point on Lake Ouachita, with a large cove on one side, a small cove on the other and the point itself expending into the South Fork arm of the main lake. You can fish from the shore all around the resort, launch a boat from a public ramp 1/2 mile away and dock a boat at the resort. And while my days were filled with fishing from other people's boats, I could have easily launched my kayak right at the resort at any time.

The room itself was spacious and very comfortable for a modest prices, and had I wanted to cook any meals or had I been traveling with a group, Shangri-La also offers cabins. Of course, I can't imagine wanting to cook my own meals at Shangri-La. The resort's restaurant is legendary for it's down-home cooking (especially fried chicken and homemade pies, both of which I enjoyed during my stay!)

Beyond actual amenities, I appreciated the atmosphere and the "people aspect" at Shangri-La. Staff were unfailingly friendly, and guests all seem relaxed, providing a sense of visiting family or friends. Most Shangri-La guests are fellow fishermen or folks who simply enjoy being around Lake Ouachita, and the restaurant crowd always includes plenty of folks from the local community, who appreciate good food and simply enjoy hanging out at Shangri-La. I know I did, and I know I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment