Last week I explored a new stretch of the Chattooga National Wild & Scenic River. Not a new access point. Just new to me from a fishing standpoint. I’d hiked to the river at the Woodall Shoals access twice previously — but didn’t fish either day and don’t recall thinking about fishing prospects.
The first was a fall rafting trip nearly 35 years ago, and when I think back, I think it was the first spot I ever entered the river. When the water is very low, which it was that day, Section IV rafting trips sometimes begin below Woodall, instead of at Highway 76, a couple of miles upstream.
The second time was with my wife on an anniversary outing in the South Carolina Upcountry, and we just went to climb the rocks, see the infamous rapid and enjoy the river. I say infamous because Woodall Shoals is extraordinarily dangerous, and a keeper hydraulic beneath the main drop has taken several lives over the years.
I’ve fished the Chattooga for more than 30 years, fishing near many different access points and fishing some sections that can only be reached by significant hikes. Why I had never explored the access at Woodall Shoals or even thought much about fishing prospects I really don’t know. It is a shorter drive for me than several parts of the river I have fished many times, and it’s a quick walk (maybe a 1/4 mile or so) to the river.
What I found there was pretty good wading access to a significant stretch of river, with plenty of varied and great-looking water. The water is pretty low right now, and I think that’s important. Some of what I waded through to get to spots would have become sketchy even with typical flows. For low-water times, though, it’s excellent access, and I could have reached more water than my time and total plan for that morning allowed.
Woodall is well downstream of where trout ever get stocked, although some rainbows and browns find their way downriver or come in from tributaries. I briefly hooked one fish that I think was probably a trout. Native Bartram’s bass are the main attraction. Thankfully Bartram’s are some of my favorite fish!
I didn’t catch a bunch of bass, but I wouldn’t have expected a bunch on a mid-August bluebird-sky day. I caught just enough to confirm that the fish are where they should be and that this is an area that warrants more attention in the future!

No comments:
Post a Comment