Friday, June 14, 2013

Flying Eagles

While driving today I was stuck by the John Denver line that speaks of someone being a "poor man if he never saw an eagle fly. "That
made me think about how rich I truly am. I've gotten to see dozens -- if not hundreds -- of eagles take to their broad wings, usually while I was fishing, with sighting locations ranging from Canada to Florida.  It's a wonderful benefit of spending so much time on the water.

I've also seen countless spectacular but nameless waterfalls along remote trout streams, rugged canyons from between their walls, deer swimming across quiet coves, wood storks circling ponds in the evening, storms forming over the water... The list could go on and on.

I've long recognized the riches of the places I get to travel, the people I get to meet and the simple fact that I get to make my living by fishing and writing fish stories. Let me never forget, though, the added riches of regularly witnessing things like eagles flying over the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment