Monday, January 13, 2014

Erie Ice Fest 2014, Day 1

Dave Lefebre would tell you the fish didn't bite today, and I suppose that based on his expectations they did not. The truth is that we easily caught a couple of hundred fish, but at day's end, the cooler only contained four crappie and a dozen of the best bluegills. Two days ago, Lefebre fished the same area just for an afternoon and left with close to 50 crappie in the box.

You sure won't hear me  complaining. I had a big time catching fish all day long and am happy to be able to start my 2014 fish species list with black crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed and yellow perch. I also learned a lot by watching Dave fish, asking questions and putting some of the answers into practice.

As of a few minutes ago, Dave was still debating tomorrow's plan. I think we'll probably head back to Presque Isle Bay State Park and fish the same general area we fished today, trusting that the crappie were just in a fussy mood and will cooperate better tomorrow. Word is that the wind might be really howling, though, and if that is the case, Dave has another plan in mind. Whatever the plan, you can trust I'll be ready for it, but with that in mind, I suppose I probably ought to sleep a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment